“X” Battery, Landguard Lodge, or Manor House Battery as it was subsequently known as, was situated about 1,000 yards North of Landguard Fort. It was an Emergency Battery, armed with two B.L. 6” guns Mk.XII on Mk.VII mountings. It had a close defence role, guarding the beaches of Felixstowe. Work commenced on the construction of the Battery during June 1940. Manor Hose was requisitioned for Battery accommodation.
The Battery faced in an Easterly direction. The guns were about 50 yards apart and housed in concrete emplacements situated close to the foreshore. In each emplacement and to the rear was the Watch Shelter. The main magazine was about 150 yards to the left and rear of No.2 gun.
The BOP was a two storey brick building. The upper floor housed the Directing Station while the Range finding station was on the lower floor. Illumination was provided with two fighting lights situated on either flank of the guns and controlled from the BOP.
The Battery’s primary role was to: